BERRY GOOD TIMES
It’s berry season and that is one of our favorite seasons here on the farm.
The bushes are heavy with farm-fresh BLUEBERRIES.
The U-pick is open and U-pick containers can be purchased at Natures Pickins Market before you head out into the patch.
Don’t worry, if you don’t feel like picking your own berries Natures often has some of our fresh picked, no spray blueberries available for purchases as well…as well as a lot of other local berries.
Blueberries are have a long list of benefits, such as being low in calories and high in nutrients, an antioxidant and have a positive effect on things such as aging, cancer, cholesterol, blood pressure, heart disease, brain function, diabetes, certain infections and muscle recovery https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-benefits-of-blueberries Seriously, blueberries are like medicine.
The beauty of blueberries is they can be added to the menu in so many ways.
Eat them by the handful as a snack, add them to a breakfast smoothie, sprinkle them on your cereal or your salad, fold them into pancakes, muffins, breads, scones or turn them into a jam, sauce, compote or a fabulous dessert. It’s great when something so good for you is supper delicious and versatile as well.
Here is a tried and true simple blueberry recipe with the goodness of blueberries and dairy goodness as well.
- 2 1/2cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Vitala http://vitalafoods.com/eggs lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 cup Vitala http://vitalafoods.com/ yogurt
- 1/3 cup EcoDairy http://ecodairy.ca/milk
- 11/2 - 2 cups fresh picked blueberries
- extra sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, soda and sugar in a large bowl.
- Combine the eggs, oil, yogurt, and milk in another bowl or jug.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries. Add a bit of milk if the mixture still seems too thick, batter should be soft & droppy.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cases placed in muffin pans (you can fill almost to the top). Sprinkle a little extra sugar (white or brown) over the top of the muffins, if you like, then bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer pushed into the center comes out clean.
BERRY GOOD BLUEBERRIES
Visit our farm and get yourself some blueberries while they last. Then, before you know it, the THORNLESS BLACKBERRIES will be juicy and ripe and ready for picking. We will keep you posted on their progress but in the meantime, come on down for our farm for our BERRY GOOD BLUEBERRIES.