A Heartwarming Soup using Delicious Local Ingredients!
Cool, grey days call for warm, cozy soup. Here is a great potato, corn and sausage chowder that is a hit and can be made using locally sourced produce and products…including milk from our cows here at EcoDairy.
I don't know about you, but when I make a soup, I work with what I have in the house. While I might loosely follow a recipe, I often make substitutions or additions to enhance the nutritional value. The recipe below is a great guideline and includes local ingredients we often have on hand. Mind you I might deviate from the recipe by adding chopped kale, leek and some turmeric and curry spices, I might throw in some leftover chicken and carrots,,,sprinkle with bacon...I also might throw it in the crock-pot to simmer all day and make my life easier.
You might never get the same soup twice but it is always tasty.
Potato, Corn & Sausage Chowder
- 1 ring of your favorite local sausage, diced
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup creamy chicken soup
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or preferred spices
- 2 cups Vitala milk
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until sausage is browned and onion is lightly browned and tender.
- Add chicken broth and soup and stir to blend.
- Add diced potatoes, corn and your preferred spices
- Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk and cook, covered, for another 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with your favorite bread.
What's your favorite kind of soup?