The Science Behind Pollination (and why it’s so important!) When you see a bee what do you do? Swat it away? Freeze? Run from the scene? Bees tend to spook a lot of us and why? Because they have a tiny little stinger that they MIGHT poke us with if we make them mad enough?…Read more
Guest Blogger: Kara Golling, Green Thumb Extraordinaire! This month we asked our friend and EcoDairy tour guide Kara to give us some advice on how to have a spectacular garden at home! She loves spending time outdoors and has recently decided to undertake a full-out garden reconstruction at home. She was happy to pass on…Read more
5 Things to do at EcoDairy in May
Here's a little checklist that YOU can conquer this month here at EcoDairy!
- Stop and smell the flowers – Pack a lunch or pick up a fresh sandwich from Natures Pickin’s next door and enjoy some food in our back patio/field area! There’s lots of room to run free and play.
- Grab an ice-cream cone at our kiosk and take a walk past our animal exhibit, just make sure you don’t let the goats steal a taste!
- Watch a funny animated video about Vicki the cow, try milking her demonstration model and then experience for yourself the suction our cows feel when they get milked in the barn using our robot milker storyboard activity.
- Tour through the dairy barn and watch how the cows move about the barn using their very own back-scratching hair brush, wash their hooves in the sanitizing bath, lounge on squishy beds and milk themselves in Robbie the Robot!
- Build a tower out of KEVA blocks, test your farm machinery matching skills and get creative with our spring colouring sheet and craft of the month in the Moozanine!
How are Llamas and Alpacas Different? We’ve had a lot of guests ask us what the difference is between llamas and alpacas so we thought we would do some research to get to the bottom of what makes these two amusing animals unique! Modern Farmer had a great post pointing out 6 differences that will…Read more