WHAT IS RAMADAN?
Ramadan is a month long fast practiced by Muslims. During Ramadan Muslims abstain from eating, drinking, smoking and sex from dawn until sunset.
WHEN IS RAMADAN 2018?
The dates for Ramadan seem to vary from year to year, it has to do with the moon. I am not even going to try and begin to understand but according to research this year it is scheduled to begin the evening of Tuesday May 15th and end the evening of Thursday June 14th.
WHAT TO EAT DURING RAMADAN? SUHOOR & IFTAR
Suhoor is the meal that is eaten before sunrise during Ramadan and iftar is the meal eaten after sunset…suhoor sounds like before and iftar sounds like after. Fasting for the day seems like a loooonnnng time so it’s important that the suhoor feast will provide you with the energy you need to make it through the day.
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME CHAKCHOUKA FOR SUHOOR?
Chakchouka is pronounced Shakshouka. It may be hard to spell and pronounce but it also happens to be delicious and provide you with the energy you need to last the day! I’m not Muslim, I’m not fasting for Ramadan but I will be enjoying Chakchouka! You can too, here is the recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced bell peppers, any color
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or to taste
- 5 Vitala eggs
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, bell peppers, and garlic; cook and stir until the vegetables have softened and the onion has turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the tomatoes, cumin, paprika, salt, and chili pepper into a bowl and mix briefly. Pour the tomato mixture into the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Simmer, uncovered, until the tomato juices have cooked off, about 10 minutes. Make four indentations in the tomato mixture for the eggs. Crack the Vitala eggs into the indentations. Cover the skillet and let the eggs cook until they're firm but not dry, about 5 minutes.
Then, serve with Vitala Milk and eat and enjoy!